Planned work shifts that have been published without a person assigned to them (aka shift needs), can be reserved from the Worktime calendar view by people who are suitable, or by their supervisors and administrators.
This feature requires that the customer environment has the Planning component purchased, and Work shifts feature enabled in Worktime > Administration > Working community settings > Work shifts.
What is a shift need?
A shift need is simply a planned work shift that has been published without a person assigned to it. It represents a work shift that still needs to be staffed. Once published, people who are able to staff the shift will be able to see and reserve it directly from their own Worktime calendar.
An example of a shift need, and a reserved need are shown below. Shift need on the left, and reserved shift on the right.
How do I reserve a shift?
Shifts which can be reserved by a person, appear in their calendar on the date(s) they are planned. A person can reserve a planned shift if:
- They do not have conflicting planned shifts
- The planned shift is in the future
- The planned shift is not reserved by someone else
- They are configured to be a resource of the unit and location where the shift is planned (configured in Planning > Locations > Location persons)
- They have the necessary Competencies for any Tasks in the planned shift (Requires that the customer environment has a license that includes the Competencies feature).
By clicking a particular shift you can get more information about it, and reserve it for yourself, or the person who's calendar you are viewing.
When reserving a shift you have the option to include a comment about the reservation. This comment is visible to all who can view your work events, and also to the people responsible for planning the shifts.
Cancelling a planned shift
When a shift is published, it includes rules about whether it can be cancelled, and if so, whether there is a deadline for the cancellation. You can see this information by clicking on the times of the shift in question, in the calendar view.
When clicking the times of the reserved shift, you will see it's detailed information, and if available, the option to cancel your reservation.
Creating work from a planned or reserved shift
Planned work shifts can be used to create work entries. To do this, visit the Worktime calendar and click the star icon on the related work shift. This will open a new dialogue with the option to make edits to the work events. The following edits are possible when creating work events from planned work:
- Whether the work event should automatically include a lunch marking (Note: Even if checked, a lunch event will only be created if assumed lunch settings, day level obligations, and permitted work times permit it)
- Work start time
- Work end time
Below is an example of a reserved work shift and the work events created from it. In this example an assumed lunch is permitted and configured to be 30 minutes long, starting at 12:00. Please bear in mind that a person's work obligation, permitted work hours, and rendering settings, can all impact the calculated hours and appearance of the resulting work events shown here.